Cat fraternity so kind
I WOULD like to express my thanks to everyone who has been so kind and thoughtful and sent messages via cards, email and telephone and just word of mouth to me following the untimely and tragic death of my beloved ‘Jaffah’ (Sup UK Gr Ch Sarnau Jaffah).
I must confess that the majority of the expressions have only just been opened, as I was unable to cope with them previously - the pain being too raw.
I would also like to thank my close friends (you know who you are) for their support and for just being on the end of the phone.
It does show that the cat fraternity does indeed care and also, I hope, the esteem ‘Jaffah’ was held in - it goes without saying though that I would trade all those show wins and titles to have him back with me.
Jackie Reed, Johpas Siamese
A ‘huge’ thank you to all our friends in the cat fancy
COULD we say a huge ‘thank you’ to all our wonderful friends in the fancy who have helped us so much through these recent very difficult times, especially Penny and John Akehurst, Chris Titterington and Malcolm Beasley, Helen Marriott-Power, Celia Godwin, Tommy Goss and Bob Towner. Without wonderful people like you, the world would be a much sadder place, so thank you dear friends.
Interestingly, had we listened to our gorgeous, intelligent Singapura, ‘Jenga’ (Pr Glamoor Boniface) we would have discovered that we’d been burgled much sooner. Jenga, after recovering from the initial shock of having strangers bursting into his (and Chiefy’s) bedroom unannounced, came dashing upstairs and started yelling his head off outside our bedroom door at about 3.15am. We just thought he was winding us up and tried to ignore him. Wrong. He nevr usually behaves like that, so we should have realised that something was amiss.
When two police officers arrived at about 11am, both Jenga and Chiefy were seriously spooked, and shot out into the garden, where they hid until the men in black had gone!
We don’t bother with an alarm clock any more, as we have this new alarm cat!
Dorothy & Colin Stone, Jenga, Chiefy & Mirabelle
Distinguishing items at shows
IN A recent ‘Viewpoint’, Rita Quick raises the question of distinguishing items at shows.
I can understand why exhibitors provide different types of litter at cat shows rather than just sticking to the plain white sort, as one tries to offer the cats what they are used to at home. Much more eye-catching to my mind though, in terms of differentiation, are the ways in which blankets are tied up and draped in various manners, or shaped into doughnuts.
I was once sharply told off, with the threat of being reported to the GCCF, for putting tapes on the front corners of the vetbed in my pens in the vain attempt to stop the inhabitants from getting underneath and heaving the contents of the litter trays everywhere. When it was pointed out to me that these tapes were “distinguishing”, I saw the point and agreed, apologised and removed them; but contorted blankets are surely just as noticeable - or even more so.
In the horrifying item on animal cruelty in the same issue, a couple were woken at night in time to rescue their poor cat from being stolen and used as bait for dogs to tear up. Admittedly some people with warped minds may try to steal our pets in daytime, but it is so much easier for them to get away with it if it is done at night. This is yet another reason to stress to all cat owners that ALL CATS MUST BE KEPT IN AT NIGHT!
Be alert to the potential dangers of Permethrin
Please alert your readers to the potential dangers of cat poisoning from permethrin, which is contained in a number of over-the-counter spot-on or dip products. My cats were recently exposed to dog spot on treatment and as a result they became extremely ill and suffered tremors and seizures. With swift treatment and excellent veterinary care they have made a good recovery.
Here is an extract of an article from the Animal Poison Control Centre of American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, detailing the possible problems together with a link to the full article:
“The spot-on treatments, which generally contain 45% or 65% permethrin in spot-ons and 3% or more permethrin in dips, are applied to cats accidentally or by individuals who ignore the warnings on the label. In some instances, cats have developed signs of permethrin toxicosis after being in close contact with (sleeping near or grooming) a dog recently treated with a permethrin spot-on product. Initial signs may appear within a few hours but can take 24 to 72 hours to manifest. Full-body tremors are the most common finding, although seizures may also occur. Other pyrethroids, including phenothrin and etofenprox, can cause a similar syndrome in cats when used at high concentrations.”
Please be vigilant and watch for possible signs including sudden and unexplained hyperactivity, lethargy, drooling and increased aggression.
Prevention is better than cure!
OUR CATS advice: with any treatments it is always important not only to follow the makers instructions, but also to consult your vet.
Thank you Joyce for the information...we wondered if anyone else had experienced any similar problems?